What is LCHF diet? It is short from ‘low carb high fat’, meaning less carbohydrate and more fat. So you should eat low-carb food and food with a higher percentage of fat. This diet became basic way of eating for many people. The most important is that you reduced intake of sugar and starch. You will eat other delicious food until satisfied – and still losing weight.
Few newer scientific studies showed that diet with low intake of carbohydrates eases weight loss and controls sugar level in blood. And that is only beginning.
Food that LCHF diet allows
What to eat? LCHF menu can include food that you like and falls within next:
- Meat: Any kind, including beef, pork, venison, chicken, etc. Feel free to eat the fat on meat and skin on chicken. If possible, try to choose organic meat or animal that is fed with grass.
- Fish and Seafood: All types – oily fish such as salmon, mackerel and herring are great.
- Eggs: All kinds – boiled, fried, omelet etc. Preferably, organic eggs.
- Natural fat, fat sauces: use butter and cream for cooking, to make food taste better. Try Dutch sauce, check the ingredients and prepare it yourself. Coconut oil and olive oil are also good options.
- Vegetables that grow above the ground: all kinds of cabbage, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and Brussels sprouts. Asparagus, zucchini, eggplant, olives, spinach, mushrooms, cucumber, lettuce, avocado, onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
- Dairy products: always choose full-fat options like real butter, cream (40% fat), cream, Greek / Turkish yogurt and high-fat cheeses. Be careful with regular milk and skim milk because it contains a lot of milk sugar. Avoid sugary, low-greasy and rich taste products.
- Nuts: Excellent snacks instead of candy (ideally in moderation).
- Berries: It is OK to eat them in moderation, if you are not sensitive.
Foods to avoid
- It is necessary to avoid sugar. It is also not desirable soft drinks, juices, sports drinks, sweets, chocolate, biscuits, buns, cakes, ice cream, breakfast cereals (as they often contain a lot of sugar). Sweeteners should be avoided also.
- Starch: bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, French fries, chips, grains, muesli. Whole grain products are just less bad. Legumes such as beans and lentils contain a high proportion of carbohydrates. Moderate amounts of root vegetables could be alright.
- Margarine – industrial imitation of butter unnaturally rich in omega 6 fatty acids.
- Beer – ‘liquid bread’. It is full of fast-acting carbohydrates unfortunately.
- Fruits – a very sweet, a lot of sugar. Eat from time to time. Treat fruit as a natural form of candy.
Sometimes you can eat certain foods, but you decide when the time is right. It can slow down your weight loss. These are the following foods:
- Alcohol: dry wine (usually red or dry white wine), whiskey, vodka and cocktails without sugar.
- Dark chocolate: preferably a small amount with a share of cocoa above 70%.
During the day, you can drink: water, coffee (try coffee with high-fat cream) and tea.
Share the post "LCHF diet: Eat real food and lose weight"